Goucher College, Towson, Maryland
M.F.A. in Creative Nonfiction 2008
Final Manuscript: “Subimago: Finding a Sense of Place
in the Landscape and in the Lifespan”
Montclair State University, Montclair, New Jersey
M.A. in Environmental Studies, Conc. in Environmental Education 2000
Research Project: “Musings on the Meuse: The Relationship between
Age, Gender, and Dominance during a Visually-Spatially Oriented
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
B.A. in English, Language and Literature 1997
Secondary Education Certification, English grades 7-12
Honors Thesis: Critical: “Mirror Imagery in the Poetry of Heather McHugh”
Creative: “Prayer of a Naturalist: Poems from the Woods”
Graduated summa cum laude with Departmental and University Honors
- Deranged: Finding a Sense of Place in the Landscape and In the Lifespan. Baltimore: Apprentice House, 2010.
- "Big Night." New England Review. 36.1 (Spring 2015) 141-154.
- "Muskrat Love". Natural History Magazine. 123.2 (March 2015) 48.
- "Losing, Yet Winning, in Life's Genetic Lottery." 52. Creative Nonfiction. (Summer 2014) 50-58. Collaboration with geneticist Ramya Rajagopalan.
- “The Myth of Home.” Ecotone. 15 (Spring 2013) 32-46.
- "Metamorphic: Notes on Love, Geology, and the Limits of Language.” Orion Magazine. (May/June 2013) 38-47.
- "Indigenous." Northwest Earth Institute's EarthMatters Newsletter. Winter 2013.
- "Mixing My Metaphors." OnEarth Magazine. 33.4 (Winter 2011/2012) 64.
- "Unexpected Company." Wisconsin Trails Magazine. (Sept/Oct 2011) 15.
- "Sign Here if You Exist." Best American Science and Nature Writing. Boston: Mariner Books, 2011.
- “Thinking About ‘Thinking Like a Mountain.’” English Journal. 100.3 (Jan 2011) 27-28.
- “Sign Here if You Exist.” Ecotone. 10 (2010) 62-79.
- “Think Like a Mountain.” The Good Men Project. http://goodmenproject.com/author/jill-sisson-quinn/
- “Sugaring Off.” Quarter After Eight. 13 (2006) 96-99.
- “Rooms.” Crab Orchard Review 11.2 (2006) 182-188.
- “Subimago.” Bellingham Review 27 (2004) 9-14.
- “Four Essays.” Murray, John. A., ed. American Nature Writing 2003. Colorado: Fulcrum Publishing, 2003.
- “This Game.” Fourth Genre 3 (2001) 147-14.
- "Extra-terrestrial." Wisconsin Public Radio. Wisconsin Life. WHRM, Madison, Wisconsin, 22, May, 2015. Radio.
- "Discovering an Ecosytstem." Ibid., 16 Apr 2015.
- "Moskey Basin." Ibid., 20 Aug 2014.
- "Playing Possum." Ibid., 23 Apr 2014.
- "Snow Wars." Ibid, 12 Mar 2014.
- "Friends." Ibid, 14 Feb 2014.
- "Sphinx Moth." Ibid., 23 Oct. 2013.
- "Ephemeral Ponds." Ibid., 12 June 2013.
- “Trespassers.” Ibid., 24 April 2013.
- “Skunks.” Ibid., 14 Feb 2013.
- "Daily Bread.” Ibid., 7 Jan 2013.
- “Indigenous.” Ibid., 29 Nov 2012
- "Angel and Nemesis." Ibid.,18 May 2012.
- "The Plants in My Classroom." Ibid., 20 April 2012.
- "Metaphors." Ibid., 6 Jan 2012.
- "Dog Walk in the Dark." Ibid., 14 Dec 2011.
- "Lake Superior Rock Picking." Ibid., 31 Aug 2011.
- "Lakes." Ibid., 3 Aug 2011.
- “First Time.” Antietam Review 18 (1998) 57.
- “The Things in Your House.” Phoebe 52 (1997) 14.
- "The Ecotone Interview With Jill Sisson Quinn." Interview conducted by Arianne Beros & Meg Reid. Ecotone: Reimagining Place. Spring 2012. Web. <http://www.ecotonejournal.com/index.php/online-exclusives/details/the_ecotone_interview_with_jill_sisson_quinn/>.
- Wesleyan Writers Conference Joan Jakobson Fellow 2014
- Rona Jaffe Foundation Writer Award 2013
- Communicator for Nat. Science Foundation Think, Write, Publish program 2012
- Pushcart Prize, Special Mention 2011
- John Burroughs Award for Outstanding Published Nature Essay 2010
- Ellis Henderson Award for Outdoor Writing, Honorable Mention 2010
- Bread Loaf’s Katherine Bakeless Nason Creative Nonfiction Award, Finalist 2009
- Essay nominated for a Pushcart Prize by Brenda Miller 2005
- Florida Review Editor’s Award, Honorable Mention 2004
- Annie Dillard Award in Creative Nonfiction, 1st Place 2003
- Sussex County Community College Poetry Contest, 1st Place 2002
- Co-Winner UMBC Robert G. Shedd Award for Excellence in English 1997
- Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference Contributor in Poetry 1999
Mid-State Technical College, Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Communications Instructor 2015-Present
Plan, teach, and assess English Composition I, Written Communication,
and Employment Strategies. Mentor and tutor students, assist with
advising business program students. Assess and tutor adults working
toward GED's and college entrance.
Stevens Point Area Senior High School, Stevens Point, Wisconsin
English Teacher 2005-2014
Plan, teach, and assess Advanced Placement Language and Composition,
Advanced Composition II, Introduction to Composition, Nature
Writing and Literature, and Introduction to Literature. Maintain online
grade-book using Skyward software. Maintain online classroom using
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
Adjunct Instructor Spring 2011
Designed and taught a 1-credit, online, graduate level course in Nature
Journaling Across the Curriculum for the Masters in Environmental
Education Program using D2L software.
Lakeland College, Kellet School of Adult Education, Wisconsin Rapids
Adjunct Instructor Spring 2010
Planned, taught, and assessed undergraduate course in Persuasive Writing
in BlendEd format. Instructed both face-to-face and using Blackboard
2011 Wisconsin Book Festival:
"Wisconsin Life" panel discussion with Lynda Barry and David Rhodes
2010 & 2011 Central Wisconsin Educators Conference:
"Defeating the Discussion Doldrums"
2010 Goucher College Alumni Weekend:
2009 Wisconsin Association of Environmental Education:
2007 Midwest Association of Environmental and Outdoor Education:
"Teaching English in the Outdoors"
2007 Baltimore Book Festival:
"This is a Children's Story" Join Book-Art Project with artist Cara Ober
2002 Alliance of New Jersey Environmental Educators Conference:
"Cooperation and Competition: A Games-Based Approach to Teaching Wildlife Relationships"
1997 UMBC Undergraduate Research & Creative Achievement Day:
"Prayer of a Naturalist: Poems from the Woods"
- 2013 New York University, NY, NY
- 2013 Invited speaker for Nature Writing Course, UW-Whitewater
- 2013 UW-SP High School Writers Workshop, Stevens Point, WI
- 2012 North Central Land Trust Annual Meeting, Stevens Point, WI
- 2011 Chippewa Valley Book Festival, Eau Claire, WI
- 2011 Fox Cities Book Festival, Appleton, WI
- 2010 Ecotone Launch, Evanston, IL, Reading with Amy Leach and Mark Wisniewski
- 2010 Alumni Weekend, Goucher College, Towson, MD
- 2010 Portage County Public Library, Stevens Point, WI
- 2010 Pike County Public Library, Dingmans Ferry, PA
- 2010 Carroll County Public Library, Westminster, MD
- 2010 Wisconsin Book Festival, Madison, WI
- $5,000 Stevens Point Education Enrichment Fund Grant Recipient 2013
- $800 grant for classroom project from Donorschoose.org 2013
- Kohl Teacher Fellowship State Finalist 2010
- $400 grant for classroom project from Donorschoose.org 2010
- $2,000 Stevens Point Education Enrichment Fund Grant Recipient 2010
- $1,200 grant for classroom project from Donorschoose.org 2009
- Mark Twain Home and Museum Creative Teaching Award, Grand Prize 2007
District Technology Steering Committee, Stevens Point Area School District
Develop district technology standards for all district employees and students. Determine technology needs and goals on a school-wide level. Present to staff on methods of integrating technology into learning.
Online Learning Committee, Stevens Point Area School District
Deveop district policies and practices regarding online learning. Develop and pilot blended classes.
Graduation Requirements Task Force, Stevens Point Area School District
Develop goals, standards, and requirements in areas as diverse as community service and online learning to ensure district students receive a world-class education.
Tapestry, Stevens Point Area Senior High Online Journal of the Arts
Founded and serve as advisor for student-run online literary and arts journal.
Curriculum Development Committee, Stevens Point Area School District
Developed K-12 English curriculum using Understanding by Design model. Input curriculum into Eclipse software. Reviewed textbooks for acquisition.
Montclair State University New Jersey School of Conservation
Environmental Educator 2001-2005
Taught 5th-7th graders in an interdisciplinary setting. Updated equipment
and wrote new science curriculum. Developed maple sugaring program.
Trained teachers and graduate students. Planned and implemented teacher
Museum of the Hudson Highlands, Cornwall-on-Hudson, New York
Environmental Educator 2000-2001
Presented live animal programs for ages two through adult. Cared for
animals. Designed and taught outdoor, natural-history based summer camps
for 2nd-6th grade. Planned and implemented family programs. Designed
Montclair State University New Jersey School of Conservation
Teaching Fellow 1998-2000
Taught 5th-7th graders in an interdisciplinary setting. Aided in program
coordination and equipment management. Led adventure education,
including climbing wall and low ropes course. Taught small and large
groups. Designed exhibits. Taught multidisciplinary1-credit weekend
workshops for undergraduates.
Ice Age Trail Alliance
Lead Ice Age Trail wildflower walks for the public. Write for Ice Age Trail Alliance publications, host booth at community events. Trail maintenance.
Project Self Help and Awareness
Hosted underprivileged African-American child from Mississippi for two weeks for two consecutive summers as part of a program to promote cultural diversity.
Member, Association of Writers and Writing Programs, 2008-Present.
Member, National Council of Teachers of English, 2006-Present.